Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

HELP

rrahman7
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to learn Alteryx. Is there anyone who can help with this one? I am trying to join two files. Both file has primary key "project#". I did that already. but I want to remove those "null" cells and also get total cost for each project number. For example as you can see I have multiple projects which has same project number "1101170010.14030.130" I want get the sum of those project numbers

..Capture.PNG

13 REPLIES 13
JWS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Yes, this is perfect. The issue with the null values occurred since the Project Numbers in the two files did not exactly match when you attempted to join them. To perform a Join the fields in both files need to match exactly. Please see the screenshots below to observer the difference in Project # in both files. I have attached a packaged workflow that leverages the text to column tool to parse the Project # into the right format. I am also using the Join tool to join the two data sets. 

Please let me know if that gives you the result that you are looking for.

ShortProjectCapture.PNG

LongProjectCapture.PNG 

rrahman7
6 - Meteoroid

That is great. How do i improve my alteryx skills? or how did you learn all these?

Thanks for your help.

rrahman7
6 - Meteoroid

One more question. There are multiple projects has same project number. How do i get only one entry with the total?

JWS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I stared exploring the lessons and videos in the Academy section here on Community. Later on I pivoted to the Weekly Challenges

You can use the summarize tool to just group only by project number As you add in additional Group By's into the Summarize tool the summary becomes more granular. Please see an example below and the workflow attached.

clipboard_image_0.png

Labels