Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

HELP!!! Repeat count when other column repeat

jjimenez
8 - Asteroid

I need help to group the below mentioned names by university, study, tuition and country. The way I was thinking was to add a count that repeats at name (highlighted below) so I could create columns for each person. Then I could use the Cross Tab / Transpose tools to get each person and their information in 1 column.

I can't figure out how to use the Record ID tool to repeat numerically upon the change of name. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

jjimenez_0-1664563727048.png

5 REPLIES 5
jjimenez
8 - Asteroid

My ultimate goal will be to filter down by the TOP 5 students with highest tuition and what countries they are in

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @jjimenez 

I've attached two methods here. One is what you describe and the other is what I would recommend:

Both use the multi-row tool to create a grouping 

Luke_C_0-1664565071056.png

Luke_C_1-1664565081706.png

jzkyburz
8 - Asteroid

@jjimenez , if I understand your inquiry correctly, you should be able to accomplish this with a multi-row formula tool:

jzkyburz_0-1664565057783.png

jzkyburz_1-1664565077449.png

Check the attached example workflow with your data to see if this is what you need.

jjimenez
8 - Asteroid

Luke - Thank you so much. This was very helpful.

Do you do any tutoring on the side? Been studying and practicing for exam #2 (for the 2nd time) :)  

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @jjimenez 

Happy to help - please be sure to mark the solution.

My best advice for the advanced exam is to review the prep guide and do plenty of weekly challenges. 

Labels