Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

HELP: Creating an employee hierarchy from a dataset

AdamEClark
5 - Atom

I am trying to create an employee hierarchy from a dataset that is provided in the following format (example):

Employee NameSupervisor Employee NumberSupervisor NameLevel 2 Supervisor NameLevel 3 Supervisor NameLevel 4 Supervisor NameLevel 5 Supervisor NameLevel 6 Supervisor Name Supervisor Category
Ram 1Keith HughMikeKeith   
Stephen 2Ram HughMikeKeithRam  
Annika 3Ram HughMikeKeithRam  
John 4Kerri HughMikeKeithKerri  
Roger5John HughMikeKeithKerriJohn  
Jonathan 6John HughMikeKeithKerriJohn  
Stephanie 7John HughMikeKeithKerriJohn  
Miguel 8Ram HughMikeKeithRam  
William9Ram HughMikeKeithRam  
Debby 10Kirsi HughMikeKeithKirsi  
Kerri11Keith HughMikeKeith   
Brian 12Kerri HughMikeKeithKerri  
Hugh13       
Mike14 Hugh     

My goal is to put each employee into a category as follows:

1.) Employee has multiple supervisees.

2.) Employee has one supervisee.

3.) Employee has no supervisees.

I would like to populate the far right column with a 1, 2, or 3 depending on how many supervisees the employee has.

Does anyone have any ideas for how I can do this?

1 REPLY 1
Claje
14 - Magnetar

Hi,

There are a few ways to interpret this, so I have outlined a couple options

If you only care about Direct Reports:

Use a Summarize tool, Group by Supervisor Name, Count Distinct Employee Name.  Then you can Join the data back together on Employee Name = Supervisor Name, and create the categories using a Formula tool.

Your formula might look something like:

IF [CountDistinct_Employee Name] >1 THEN 1
ELSEIF [CountDistinct_Employee Name] = 1 THEN 2
ELSE 3
ENDIF

If you are looking for the total number of employees under a given individual (including indirect reports), then you will want to use a Transpose tool to start things off, to put all of the "Level # Supervisor Name" columns into one set of values.  Then you can summarize on this and use a similar method to the Direct Report method.

Hope this helps!

Labels