Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

HANA/In-DB Connection Fails to Extract Field Descriptions

Matt_S
7 - Meteor

I've been using the In-DB connection tools to extract data from an SAP HANA environment; however, it fails to extract the Description from the View (see below). I've confirmed independently that the descriptions are maintained in the View (when connecting view Tableau or DVW the descriptions are accessible).

Is there a method or setting that I'm not taking advantage of that will extract the Description? Could there be an error in my ODBC Driver config?

clipboard_image_0.png

4 REPLIES 4
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Matt_S This information is usually grabbed from the database itself. Now are these descriptions queryable from SAP Hana? Can see if you are able to query the description in SAP Hana?

Digan
Alteryx
Matt_S
7 - Meteor

@DiganP Not sure if this is what you were getting at or not, but it looks like I can query the _SYS_BI Dimensions table and find Descriptions or other necessary schema data. Then I can simply "join" them together via a Dynamic Rename. I guess I was expecting the Description values to come through without any explicit query... which would be nice! Here's how it looks for me now:

clipboard_image_0.png

My second query then looks something like:

Select _SYS_BI.BIMC_DIMENSIONS.DIMENSION_NAME,
_SYS_BI.BIMC_DIMENSIONS.DIMENSION_DESCRIPTION

From _SYS_BI.BIMC_DIMENSIONS

Thanks for making me consider this option, it was a huge help!

@Matt_S 

Matt_S
7 - Meteor

I've submitted a request for an integrated solution to the Designer Ideas page. Feel free to comment or star if you've experienced similar challenges.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/SAP-HANA-In-DB-Connection-Field-Descriptions...

Jec
5 - Atom

@matts1 - Newbie here, may I ask what is the setup you have done for the Dynamic Rename? Maybe you can share the yxmd sample of your scenario below. I am trying to pull the same case from HANA wherein I need to have the labels and description and merge it from a hana transaction table.

thanks in advance.

Jec

Labels