Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grouping into time buckets?

summarizer
9 - Comet

I need to review thousands of the projects and start times on the left (A and B) and assign them to the time frame where they fell during that day (D,E,F).  These values are fluid...they change daily. These data points are NOT in the same page - I just made this photo below for easy reference.

I did manage to work this with an APPEND tool.  However, I'm just doing 2 days of data over several employees and I have 153 million rows (which I'll bring back to normal with the following filter tool), but I need to add much more data.  Is there any other way?  

Thanks in advance!

JOIN QUESTION.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
soccertil1108
8 - Asteroid

As I was planning my next YouTube video on Non-Equi joins I had a major insight into a solution for your problem. I realized how the execution planner for an RDBMS would efficiently resolve the SQL Select query for your non-equi join. Alteryx enables me to implement the same solution very efficiently [4.4 seconds on my machine with a step to identify the out of range records and finishing with a couple of Browse].

summarizer
9 - Comet

Thank you @soccertil1108  I have downloaded and will review with my data set later today.  This seems so simple.  I will provide feedback later and either ask more questions or accept.  Thanks again!

summarizer
9 - Comet

Thank you again @soccertil1108  That was so simple and elegant,.. but did take a lot of thinking to perfect!  I appreciate your assistance!

soccertil1108
8 - Asteroid

Glad to assist. And, I realized that my non-equi join video was never converted to my YouTube page, so I have a new video to work on!!

Labels