Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grouping columns for output

james204
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

I'm new to Alteryx. Is there a way to cluster fields belonging to a common group for output to Excel? I want it to look something like this:

Capture.PNG

So although the fields are defined as Apples, Bananas, etc, they can be grouped together according to whether they are a Fruit or a Vegetable. Is there a way? 

4 REPLIES 4
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

What does the incoming data look like?

james204
8 - Asteroid

Most likely it would be calculated in Alteryx via a Formula tool. Perhaps a more realistic example would be like this:

Capture.PNG

The key is to get a 'top-level' header name as well as the 'standard' field header.

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I would have to see an example of the "before" data.  You've showed two examples of the "after".  Regardless, you're probably going to have to use an Excel template to paste into.  Lots of posts regarding that.  Just search for "excel template".  Here is a good place to start:  https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Output-to-an-Excel-Template-File/ta-p/35978.

jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hi @james204

If you are going to export the results to excel, I think the closest thing you could get is something like below:

Capture1.PNG

I am afraid Alteryx currently has no functions/tools to control how to merge cells horizontally in excel.

Labels