Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Grouping based on multiple columns

aband
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I am having trouble achieving the results I need.

I want to create a Group ID based on two variables (ID#2 and ID#3). However, an entry may be considered apart of the same group if ID#2 falls within ID#3 or vice versa.

The example I've attached is incorrectly grouping all these values in separate Group IDs when I need all of the entries to be tagged as Group ID 126.

Thank you in advance for your help!

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

What is your grouping logic? I can't tell just by looking at your data.

aband
6 - Meteoroid

Apologies for not being clear. 

It might be easier to see with a smaller subset of data. From the screenshot below, I've highlighted IDs that should all be grouped together under Group ID 126 because they have a common variable present either under ID #2 or ID #3 (NSLP000003289).

However, the items highlighted in orange are being grouped incorrectly. The idea is if the ID exists within the ID #2 group or within the ID #3 group elsewhere, it should be included with the previously existing group.

aband_0-1630415820938.png

Please let me know if there's anything else I can clarify. Thank you!!

camerondsteele
6 - Meteoroid

Does this do what you need?

Labels