Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grouping Together and Pulling Out Violators

greenman73
7 - Meteor

hi Alteryx Community,

I feel like what i am trying to accomplish is outside of my current knowledge of Alteryx.  Although i am sure it can be done.  I cannot figure it out.

I have group if users who have a certain level of access.  There are certain combinations of this access which are not allowed.  I need to identify the combos which are not allowed by the user.  The output would show only the users who break the rule.  

So in the example below for Joe i would want to see in the Output the rule being broken, his name, and the combination that is being broken.  So in this case i would want to see test 1 and test 3.  No need to see test 2 since there is no rule around test 2.  I hope i explained that well enough.

For Example -

User Joe has access to test 1, test 2, and test 3.

User John has access to test 1 and test 2. 

Users are not allowed access to both test 1 and test 3. So i need to identify the rule breaker (Joe) and disregard John.  I do have a rules sheet.  I figure i need to group the users together giving them a unique row ID.  But that is as far as i get.  I cannot figure out how to get Alteryx to look at each group and pull out the rule breakers.

Here is my process so far:

greenman73_0-1663353021687.png

Input data of users from sheet

Filter out the what is needed

Select the columns i need

Add a unique number to each group

That is as far as i get.  I can see the users access and i see the unique number assigned to that user's group of access but how do i get Alteryx to identify the rule breakers based on the rules.

I have attached a small sample of what i have and the rules.  3 of the users break the rule and 1 does not.  I might need to add some sort of number to my rules sheet also like below and then somehow join the process above with the one below so i know which rule is being broken by number.

greenman73_1-1663353562184.png

Your help is greatly appreciated and if additional clarity is needed please let me know.  This is not due for a couple of months but i figure better start now as this seems complex and outside of my wheelhouse!  

Thank you

Jonathan

5 REPLIES 5

Hi @greenman73 

This is how I approached your data challenge. I'm not sure though why Susie violates the rule even if she does not have test 1 :)

Hopefully this helps or provide some guidance, at least. Cheers!

christine_assaad_0-1663364666428.png

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @greenman73 

I think that this is one possible way to solve it. The idea is to concatenate all Access for each user, so you can see if the not allowed rules are cointained on the group.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1663437641873.png

If the provided answer helped you to solve the problem/was correct, please accept it as a solution :)

Thanks.

greenman73
7 - Meteor

Hi Felipe - thank you for the response.  I am not able to open the attachment.  I receive an error message stating that the version you used is newer than the one i have.

Is there anyway you can use a lower version?  I have version 2020.3.5.30242

thank you

Jonathan

greenman73
7 - Meteor

Hi Filipe - please do not worry about trying to find a different version - another user also replied and i was able to user their process since it matched my version.  Thankyou so much for the help.  I was able to get exactly the output i was looking for!!!

Jonathan

greenman73
7 - Meteor

Thank you Christine - this is exactly what i needed and the results match my expectation.

Jonathan

Labels