Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grouping/Sorting of Information

MadeInHB
8 - Asteroid

I have been having some trouble figuring this out.  Below is an example:

Demo                                      Employee Number

Employee1                              123456

Spouse1                                  000000

Employee2                               654321

Child2                                      654321

Employee3                               000000

I am looking at trying to filter out the 000000 under the Employee Number, however keep the Employee with their families.  In this example, Employee 1 and their Spouse 1 along with Employee 3 would be filtered to one side (Employee1 stays with Spouse 1) and then Employee 2 and Child 2 go another route because both have the Employee Number listed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I would use a RegEx tool in parse mode to separate the Type and Id:

([[:alpha:]]+)(\d+)

This will give you two columns (Type and Id) which you can the use filters and then joins to work with.

Put together a quick demo of what I mean.

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The solution that @jdunkerley79 gave will certainly work for the demo data that you provided but I worry that your actual data may be:

NameEmployee ID
Jack123456
Jane000000
John654321
Sammy654321
Jill000000

This gives no real way to tell that a [Name] is tied as a spouse or child to an employee other than the order of the data. Is this true or am I overthinking the problem?

MadeInHB
8 - Asteroid

Actually you are right.  It would be listed as names.  The order would be the same.  The Employee is first and then family is after until another employee is listed.

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Is there any indiction in the data like another column that tells you whether or not someone is an employee? That way we know where each family unit begins and ends.

MadeInHB
8 - Asteroid

Yes,  We have a code that is E, S, C  (E=Employee, S=Spouse, C=Child) 

I forgot one part as well. 

It would be like:

Name    Code     Employee Number     SSN

John     E           123456                      123456789

But dependnats sometimes have an SSN and sometimes they don't.  I want to filter out the entire family if any of the family has a blank SSN.

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Alright, given that the families will be in order and one family ends when another employee is listed, this should solve your problem. Just keep in mind this module depends on that ordering.

The key is to use a Multi-Row tool to give a unique family id to each family unit

MadeInHB
8 - Asteroid

So far this is working.  But it is only grouping in sets of two.  Is there a code that will group the record number the same until the next E shows up?

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Apologies, I made an error in my conditional statement in the Multi-Row tool. This should fix it.

Labels