Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grouping Data Spatially

David92
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I am trying to create a group by spatial position.  

I have data that looks pretty much like the following

2018-06-26_23h20_50.png

I have been able to make a centroid of the points and the made a 10-mile trade area around these.  Then used the Summarize tool to group these trade areas.

From there the trouble starts.

I want to make a group in the data, based on if these trade area overlap. It would be a new column of data.

And then to create a group name for all the trade areas that intersect. The group name isn't as important at the moment, it's more about trying to make the groups.

The data in the image has an intersection.  I have attached an example of the data.

If anyone could lend a hand or a suggestion I would be very appreciative.

Best,

DT

5 REPLIES 5
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @David92 I think your looking for the spatial match and the make group tool to perform this task.

I've created a solution for you which is attached, do you want to take a look and feedback here.

Ben

StephenR
Alteryx
Alteryx

Using a spatial match is one approach that works, but it looks like you are trying to get clusters. Attached is a workflow that will do that for you (you'll need the R toolset installed).  You'll have to adjust the Number of Clusters in the K-Centroids Cluster Analysis tool to get it to group how you're expecting, but this method is very scalable.

Regards,
Stephen Ruhl
Principal Customer Support Engineer

David92
7 - Meteor

Thanks  Ben that worked a dream.  Thanks for the speedy response.

Best,

David 

Nicky23
5 - Atom

@BenMoss Tried opening your workflow, but was unable to since I have an older version of Alteryx (2018.1).  Is there any way you can send me the 2018.1 version of your solution?

Capture.PNG

JohnMaty
9 - Comet

I have a scenario currently in development where this is a perfect solution.  Thanks for posting this!

Labels