Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Grouped RecordID

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi all,

I see a lot of people have been requesting this so I thought I'd post this here.

I built a grouped RecordID tool that allows you to create a record ID that uses one or more fields as grouping:

mceleavey_0-1621518051553.png

Say you have data like this:

mceleavey_1-1621518130491.png

and you want to create a RecordID field, but rather than just counting from 1 to 5, you want to group it by the District field, and reset the count at each change in this field, then you can now use this tool to do exactly that:

mceleavey_2-1621518212423.png

mceleavey_3-1621518232748.png

Nice and simple but a useful bit of functionality methinks.

Thanks to the handsome and talented @joshuaburkhow for making it look pretty and helping out with some of the testing.

Enjoy.

M.

Bulien

6 REPLIES 6
Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@mceleavey 

I agree, I see a need for this all the time here on the community! In the past, I used @MarqueeCrew's CReW macro but it looks like he has some competition now!

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/CReW%2BGroupByRecordID/5e417bbf0462d70decb763a9  

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

This would be really helpful 🙂 thank you @mceleavey  and @joshuaburkhow

@joshuaburkhow and @cgoodman3 your today's inspire session on Design Patterns was really amazing and helpful 🙂

Luke_C
17 - Castor

This is awesome and a great alternative to the tile tool. I always get confused with all the different settings while configuring it to do something like this.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Luke_C 

Tile tool has a drawback it will always sort the data ascending by unique column 😶 i usually get stuck because of this and end up using multi-row formula to generate group id.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@mceleavey 
Thank you for this help handy one.
ACE ideas digest of @SeanAdams guided me here. 😁

srea541
8 - Asteroid

This solution is fantastic - Thank you for sharing!

Labels