Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grouped Cross Tab

Snord
6 - Meteoroid

I have a data set that I need to have transposed, but the data is grouped. I need to be able to cross N rows at a time. I was thinking of using the sample tool, but sometimes in my actual data set the values below the berries are all the same.

Here is an example of the data that I have currently:

Current Column

Strawberry
Blueberry
Raspberry

And here is how I want my data to look after the cross tab:

Current ColumnF2F3F4
Strawberry123
Blueberry122
Raspberry111

Is there any combination of tools that will get these results for me? 

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Snord 

You can use Make Columns to give you your exact result.

image.png

It's in the Laboratory tool category

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers!

Esther

NickSm
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @Snord 

Make columns as above is actually probably the easiest way to do so if you know how many records of numerical data there are for each.

Also worth noting that RegEx could be an easy way to break that column out for an easy pivot.  Can put words into one column and digits into another, then fill down and flip.

If there's a scenario where you might have words and digits in one entry you may have to get a little more specific.

clipboard_image_0.png

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Snord I mocked up a workflow let me know what you think?

Snord
6 - Meteoroid

Esther, I hadn't ever used this tool. This is brilliant. Thank you so much!

Snord
6 - Meteoroid

@JS420, thank you for the help. This is a great way to use the cross tab tool, but I think it is overkill for the little process I have going on. Thanks for the suggestion all the same!

Labels