Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Group columns by Row so they appear side by side (rather than on top of each other)

E123
5 - Atom

Hi All, 

I currently have a data set that looks like this: 

GroupColumn AColumn BColumn C

A

BlueBlack Red

A

GreenBlackRed
BGreenBlackRed
BYellowBlueRed
BRedBlackRed
CYellowBlue Red
CYellowBlue Black

Is it possible to group this table using the column 'Group' and have each 'Group' appear next to each other (side-by-side) rather than one after another? Like below:

AAABBBCCC
Column AColumn BColumn CColumn AColumn BColumn CColumn AColumn  BColumn C
BlueBlackRedGreen BlackRedYellowBlue Red
GreenBlackRedYellow BlueRedYellowBlue Black
2 REPLIES 2
NicoleJohnson
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Might try something like the attached workflow, which leverages Transpose and Cross Tab to pivot your data as needed... keep in mind, however, that Alteryx will only give you an option for one row of headers, so in the solution provided, I have shown "Group_A_Column_A", "Group_A_Column_B", etc. as your header row, which combines the Group & Column names rather than having them stacked on top of each other.

Grouping Example.JPG

Hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction! :)

Cheers,

NJ

Karlo
8 - Asteroid

Hi @E123

This is definitely possible. You will have to do a bit of investigating with the Cross Tab and Transpose tools. I am unfortunately not at my main computer at the moment (as I am about to leave on holiday) otherwise could give it a bash.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Labels