Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Group a Column using Table tool

Mark191919
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Guys,

Need help. I was trying to create a workflow that will send an information via email for my QA purposes. So basically what I need to do is to send me a table layout that look like this

Table1.JPG

However, what I want is to show only one value (Filename column) for what ever value that are the same for that field. So it is the same as merging a cell or column when it comes on excel file. I was trying to figure out that on the table tool but didn't get any chance to do that.

Table2.JPG

Thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7
HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Mark191919

The table tool doesn't have an option to merge cells like you can in excel. That would be a great feature though, you should submit an idea for that on our forum

I came up with a workaround using multiple table tools that ends up with a table that looks very similar to what you have in excel: 

12-11-2017 2-50-53 PM.png

The trick was to create multiple tables. 

First, I created a table for Count, QA, and Status and grouped that by FileName. Then I created a table with two columns: FileName and the table created in Step1. I used a layout tool to merge the two together (making sure to select "Vertical Merge Contents to Line Up Table Columns" as the orientation). That duplicated header rows though, so I deselected header rows and created another table that would function as the header row and merged that in as well. 

12-11-2017 3-04-13 PM.png

Also see the attached workflow. 

Henriette Haigh
Technical Product Manager - Data Connectors
Alteryx, Inc.

user_km
8 - Asteroid

Hi @HenrietteH

I'm trying to open the workflow file that you attached in your post but I am using an older version of Alteryx and my organization resricts Alteryx users to using version 11.0.3.25674. Is there any way you could upload the same workflow created in an older version of Alteryx so that I can open the file? 

Mark191919
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @HenrietteH

Thank you for giving me a solution on this. This really help me to do what I want on my module. I will submit this and hoping it will be added on future updates. Thank you :-)

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here you go @user_km. The attached workflow should work for you.

Henriette Haigh
Alteryx, Inc.

nagsrini
5 - Atom
Hello @Henriette

We have to merge couple of columns as per the attached example. Tried all possible combinations in the canvas provided by you. Didn’t work. Could you please help.

Thanks in advance
Nag

HenrietteH
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @nagsrini

You can repeat the process of nesting tables multiple times. In your example you would nest one more table as described above. 

First table: Issue + Total

Second table: Issue Type + first table

Third table: File name + second table

Everything else would be as described above. 

Henriette Haigh
Alteryx, Inc.

nagsrini
5 - Atom
@HenrietteH

Worked perfectly well. Thanks a lot.
Labels