Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Group Rows of Data by Generating a Unique ID for Rows Based on Characters in a String

poles1c
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am reading in multiple log files at once and need to create a unique ID for each row to keep information from each log grouped together.

A sample of what I want my data to look like is below

date                time                status                   status_message                unique_id

5-11-2017       00:00:00         Information          Starting task: blue               1  

5-11-2017       00:05:00         Information          Entering task execution       1

5-11-2017       00:02:00         Information          Starting task: green             2

5-11-2017       00:03:00         Information          Entering task execution       2

We know that data from the next log starts when the key words "Starting task" are present in a row in the status_message column. How do I make sure that each row that contains "Starting task" and it's associated rows have a unique identifier?   

Thank you!

Courtney

2 REPLIES 2
Federica_FF
11 - Bolide

Hi @poles1c

you can try with a Multi-Row Formula Tool

Create a new field named unique_id, numeric data type (integer any type)

with the formula

IF startswith([status_message], "Starting task:") then [Row-1:unique_id]+1 ELSE [Row-1:unique_id] ENDIF

The unique ID starts from 1 and increase by +1 everytime a record starts with Starting task:, if not (if it starts with Entering task or whatever) the record takes the same ID of the previous row (row-1)

poles1c
8 - Asteroid

Perfect thanks!

Labels