Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Group By?

Uzi
8 - Asteroid

Dear All, 

I'm pretty new in Alteryx and have some trouble. 

I'm want to group the fields by a specific but I have no idea how. The images below are showing what I have (first image) and what I'm trying to reach. 

Maybe it's in easy move I have no idea, but very thankful for every help or hint. 

Best

Uzi_0-1599641337150.png

Uzi_1-1599641349885.png

12 REPLIES 12
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Uzi , try this if it helps.

grazitti_sapna_1-1599647104492.png

grazitti_sapna_2-1599647138601.png

If this is what you are looking for please give a like and mark this post as solution.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Uzi
8 - Asteroid

Thank you very much grazitti, the solution with my example worked perfectly. 

What I didnt mentioned is, that my table has more fields and some fields are duplicated. so what I tried is to merge them together with the "Unique"-tool. But the outcome wasn't what I wanted 😕 

Example given: 

Uzi_0-1599655706618.png

What happens is that the code number (which isn't 1,2,3, it is a kryptical number of like 10 digits). We have the Code number in File A, File, File B and so on. So Wanted to merge them together. Which worked but, also appears right in the table and I have no Idea how to deselect this fields (Select Tool is not working because it only shows me the "table" and not the single fields). What I want is just the Column "code and A, B, C). 

Uzi_1-1599655879536.png

Is there a way to "clean" the table?

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Uzi , could you post the workflow along with the sample dataset you are talking about so that I can make changes into the same and fix it?

And if you are just trying to deselect the fields you can do it in the basic table tool, something like this but I believe there is some minor mistake before you are converting it to table so I can try to fix it before the conversion.

grazitti_sapna_0-1599711070993.png

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Uzi
8 - Asteroid

Dear Grazitti, 

I found the error. It was my fault, I had selected some fields and didn't saw it. Beginner mistakes 😄

It's working well now, thank you. 

I just have a question about the number of columns. We used the "Text to Columns" tool to split it into three columns (A,B,C). The problem is, that it is not fix. So sometime I need like 10 and sometimes like 5 columns. It depending on the files I have (I have a step before where I merge multiple files to one table). Is there a way to do this automatic? So depending on how much files I merge, it creates automatic the number auf columns that is needed. 

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Uzi , can you possibly share an example to have a look attached to the workflow?

Meanwhile give this a try if it helps?

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Uzi
8 - Asteroid

So, i tried with your example and some comments to explain what my idea is. Hopefully that you can understand it. Thank you very much in advance. 

Best

Uzi
8 - Asteroid

Ok I figured out that with a the action tool I can update a value. 

My Idea is to count the number of sheets with the summarize tool and the given number which is counted (e.g. 3) 

to use that number as the number of splitting counts. Like an variable which is not static. My question, is this working with action tool and if yes, how?

Uzi_1-1599817569046.png

Uzi_2-1599817657133.png

(Not sure if I should open a new Discussion or not)

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Uzi , in order to make it dynamic try this workflow and you may not require an action tool as it will not work unless this workflow is an analytical app. I have removed the concept of text to columns and used cross tab and transpose to make it dynamic. Please refer to the workflow and run it once for clarity.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
Uzi
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a lot, this is amazing. Thank you for your help. 

I have just last design question. I created two more fields which are static but when I try to move them to right position, they don't appear where they should. 

They should be at first column and last column

Uzi_0-1599825743064.png

Like here 

Uzi_1-1599825787359.png

even so I don't understand why the style of the (yellow header ) is deleted when I put one more row at the in the Inputfile

Attach the modified example

Labels