Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Group By and Count

bsanthoshpk
8 - Asteroid

Hi Guys,

Good Day!!!

I am looking for support regarding Group By and count function .

please find attached file for source and Expected output mentioned.

Note: i cant use summarize bcoz i want each column to be group by & count separately. When i tried to drag both columns into summarize 2nd column comes like sub-group of 1st column.. pls suggest me accordingly.

7 REPLIES 7
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

In your expected output, you show X with 2 (so all Xs) and AA20 with 3 (all AA20 including the one attached to the Y).  Yet for DB45 you split it out between the Y and Z.  This is not consistent logic.  What are you trying to acheive?

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

What about to summarize tools and joining on RecordID?

bsanthoshpk
8 - Asteroid

Hi @mbarone  @PhilipMannering 

thanks for your quick response. actually both columns should be treated separately . 1st column should be groupby-count. then 2nd column (without considering 1st column) should be groupby-count. if i use summarize tool i need one summarize tool for each column. my actual data has 10 columns where all 10 columns should be treated separately for groupby-count. practically i dont want to use 10 summarize tool. so thought to seek better idea.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @bsanthoshpk 

Ah, ok. That kinda makes sense. Maybe something like this,

PhilipMannering_0-1639575131484.png

mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I agree with @PhilipMannering - transpose/crosstab combo to avoid macros.

bsanthoshpk
8 - Asteroid

HI @PhilipMannering 

Thanks a lot 🙂

KRISHNABOMMU
8 - Asteroid

i wanted to group by region column and then count by gender column. how do you do by summarize or any other way?

Labels