Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Grant Access to App without Granting Access to the Data Connection

kgalbert
9 - Comet

Hello!

I'm trying to determine if my idea is possible.

I have an analytic app created and I want to grant a user access to run that app without granting them access to the underlying data connection.

It's an Oracle OCI data connection if that matters.  The user doesn't have a designer license and is accessing the app through a collection.  

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Ken

3 REPLIES 3
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @kgalbert ,

this would be the functionality of the gallery. If you want a user to run an app without having an Alteryx designer licence you need to publish the app to the gallery, and grant the user access to run the app from the web portal.

M.

Bulien

kgalbert
9 - Comet

So unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work that way.  I created the App, added it to a collection, granted the user access to the collection, but when they run the app they get this error:

kgalbert_0-1623791777156.png

If I grant them access to the Gallery_ORACLE_REPORTING data connection in the gallery, then they can run the app.  I'm wondering if anyone has created an app and granted users access without granting them access to the data connection.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Gallery-Data-Connections-FAQ/ta-p/452...

indicates that when a user executes a workflow with a gallery connection it will check their access to that connection prior to running the workflow.

Thanks,
Ken

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@kgalbert ,

the connection needs to be set up on the server for the Alteryx Service Account, which might be why you're getting this error.

If you're setting up as an ODBC connection you need to create a System DSN in Windows on the server.

M.

Bulien

Labels