Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grabbing the cell NEXT to the (summarised) Min_Value

arthurmauk
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, I've got a table that looks somewhat like this:

ProcessRatingNameValue
A

Major

X5
AMajorY3
BMinorZ4
BMinorAB2

I would like to result in something like this:

ProcessRatingNameMin_Value
A

Major

Y3
BMinorAB2

where the Summarize tool is calculating the Minimum of the Value field, and the Name field is now taking the Name cell that is next to the minimum value(s) in the Value field. I tried Grouping by Name after the Min_Value but that just has as many records as there were before and I want less. How do I do this please? Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You can simply sort your records based on the value ascending to get the minimum value records ontop. I'd use the sort also on the process to group the values. From there, you can use the sample tool to grab the first record for each process.

echuong1_0-1602863013263.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

You can use a summarize tool where you group by process and then find the min value. Then you join it back to your regular data on process and value so the only records that pass through are the ones that match the process and the minimum value from the process. Workflow attached!

Min value.png

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

@echuong1's solution is perfect if you only need one row for every process. If two or more rows correspond with the min value then you will want to take the join approach. 

Labels