Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grab string within brackets

SylviaK
8 - Asteroid

Hi 

I am trying to grab a string within brackets using Reg Ex. The output should be as below. 

FieldOutput
adfsdfsfaw reg asdfsdfas dsdfsdf (regulation x)regulation x
asdf33 sdfsd cc (regulation yy)regulation yy
asdfsdf erer reg sdfsd 
sdfs werwewrwer (regulation ttt)regulation ttt

I found the below solution and it works - can someone pls explain why though? How do I read this?

(.*)(?:\()(.*)(?:\))

I would have gone for (reg.*) as a regular expression. but that doesn't work. 

4 REPLIES 4
Drussek
9 - Comet

Much simpler regex, and the same output:

\((.*)\)

Cndro_Consulting
8 - Asteroid

I think you should follow this @SylviaK 

seven
12 - Quasar

Hi,

I enjoy using RegEx. One of the many problems with RegEx can be incomprehensibility. If I can, I use Alteryx string functions as they are easier for others to understand.

Substring(Substring([Field], FindString([Field], '(') + 1),0,FindString(Substring([Field], FindString([Field], '(') + 1), ')'))

Something like this would do the same job. It locates the positions of the parentheses and grabs the text between them. Even though it is nested, it only takes a few minutes to unwind what is happening here.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

As with everything in Designer, there are multiple ways to get to the same output.

In your case, (reg.*) does not work because the first line has a standalone "reg" value. The expression you wrote is looking for "reg" in any instance. Adding the ".*" means it can have 0 or more of any character.

If you wanted to include the "reg" portion in your regex statement, you could use (reg\w.*)\). The statement is looking for something that begins with "reg" followed by another letter. This will disregard the standalone "reg" value. Following, is anything else (represented by .*). The closing ")" is removed by having it outside of the market group. The ")" is a special character that needs to be signified by a "\" prior. 

A more simple expression might be to just look for anything in the parenthesis, if you don't just need to find values that start with "reg." \((.*)\) will work in that case.

echuong1_1-1597756987497.png

Labels