Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Google Team Drive

FabianS_dup_107
7 - Meteor

Hey community!

I haven't found this topic yet, so let me post it :)

We would like to manage our google sheets in the team drive and not couple our sheets to a personal account. So what I'd like to do is use a service account to manage all the google sheets written by Alteryx and put them in the appropriate team drive. Can anyone help me by telling me whether this is possible with Alteryx and so yes, how to set it up?

A clever workaround is also appreciated, as long as it doesn't require a personal account, the whole idea is to make it person independent.

If there is a post on this topic (team drive) somewhere on the forum, I would also appreciate a link to that post ;)

6 REPLIES 6
scottj
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

When using the Google Sheets Connector, could you have a shared log-in for everyone to use?  Sounds like you might already have a company, or shared account.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/The-How-to-Guide-to-Google-Sheets/ta-p/20354 for some info on using the connector.

Scott Jones
Strategic Sales Engineer
Alteryx, Inc.
FabianS_dup_107
7 - Meteor

I have my own account with an oaut client and key, but this only allows me to write to my own drive. Then I can share the sheet with everyone I like, but it is still on my own drive. We really need to start using the Team Drive to manage all sheets, but I can't seem to understand how to upload files directly to a team drive. 

In the general information I don't see anything in that direction......

PeterGoldey
11 - Bolide

Does anyone have an actual solution for this?  I'm having the same issue:

1. our company uses team drives

2. staff post docs to team drives that we want to use as input to workflows

3. the google sheets connector only allows me to browse my personal home drive (or the home drive of the account used).

What we want is:

1. ability to browse all team drives shared with the user account

rpaugh
11 - Bolide

Hello everyone,

This is not the most elegant solution, but try wrapping your Google Input/Output (in the example below I'm using Input) in a macro and pass in the appropriate credentials, workbook ID, and worksheet name:

Alteryx - Google Team Drive Input Example.png

Even though the Google Sheets Input tool is specifically designed for Sheets only and not Drive (Drive is actually a completely different API), when you pass in the appropriate credentials and worksheet ID it can properly access a Google document located in a Team Drive (I've not tested this with non-Google documents).  And the credentials don't have to be specific Team Drive credentials - they can be any credentials associated with an account that has permission to the Team Drive.

Alteryx - Google Team Drive Input Example 2.png

Above is a current production example I'm using so I know it works.  However, I've not tried  it with a Google Sheets output so I'm not 100% positive it will write out the sheet correctly, but based on what I've seen it should work.  Any outputs would just have to include the appropriate write option for the workbook/worksheet.

RichardB
5 - Atom

If you activate the "Display XML in Properties Window" under Options > User Settings > Edit User Setting > Advanced (tab) it is possible to manually enter all the configuration parameters. If the credentials you're using has access to the spreadsheet in Team Drive, you can just paste the workbookID and you will be able to use it as input.

ak2018
8 - Asteroid

I understand that is a smart workaround. I am trying this out with a client ID and Client Secret that is assigned to me (so I don't have to verify every darn time), but when I swap out the FOLDER ID with the ID of the folder from google drive that I want to use and have access to, I do not see anything. It doesn't give any error but blank stuff. a nice guid would be awesome.

Labels