Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Google Maps Driving Distance and Duration API with Alteryx

marlop
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All,

I've been trying to get actual driving distances and duration by wrapping in my personal API key.

I've been following this amazing guide: https://jdunkerley.co.uk/2016/07/21/geocoding-and-finding-nearest-station-with-google-web-services/

This is exactly what I need but I keep getting errors when inputting the API key URL in the Formula tool.

Also, do I need to use the Distance tool (since I only have the general license it doesn't come with TomTom capabilities) at any point or can I just add the results onto the data I already have? (I used the Append Tool to get multiple addresses listed)?

Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19
robshiffer
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the help! I'm not too experienced with the Google API so this is hugely helpful

Chris88
5 - Atom

Hi Travis, this is exactly what I want to do. Would you be able to share a workflow?

MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

@jdunkerley79 It Gives an error on the auto-field say "At least one field must be selected" 

Means no data come, how can we re-check it? I put My API key and it accepts it (the key)

At Least One field selected.JPG

MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

Ok @jdunkerley79 I understand, The destination field after parsing gives null, How do we can handle it?

At Least One field selected -1.JPGls the setting is Ok in Google console?
API Key.JPG

MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

When I checked the Records it gives the following error: This API project is not authorized to use this API., Why this happened? 

TravisR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hey @MAAbdullahAlMubarah

I haven't used the Google DistanceMatrix API in a while - but I know back in June they made some significant changes to their API. My guess is that that is the root of your issue. I would recommend reading through their API documentation and trying to build out your own API call.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/distance-matrix/start

MAAbdullahAlMubarah
8 - Asteroid

Thank You so much @jdunkerley79 Very great resource 

vshekharrc
7 - Meteor

Hi James,

I was trying to use the work flow that you have provided here. Instead of considering inputs in terms of spatial points, I would want to consider the combination of city, state, zip code and country because I do not have lat long info. In this case can I still use the concatenations that you have used?. If not, could you please let me know how can I input the below origin and destination details in the formula area and get the distance? For instance I have the following origin and destination detail and I would like to find the API distance in miles between them.

Origin details: DECATUR 62525 IL USA

destination details: LEWISBURG 37091 TN USA

Please find attached the excel file which has the origin and destination details . I have kept only 3 records here for simplicity.

Regards

Varun Shekhar

karol1
5 - Atom

Hello, thanks so much for this! I just had a few questions: how do I know whether this calculates the drivetime in peak times or quiet times? or e.g. the time of day it pulls the drivetime data from? thanks, karol 

Labels