Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Give unique identifier to each column in Alteryx

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

Can we put some unique identifiers for each column in alteryx?

KrishnaChithrathil_0-1658900668146.png

like this?

KrishnaChithrathil_1-1658901652733.png

My requirement is i need to loop through each columns, to check if a value is present in it or not. I'll be having a different column order each time.

What I'm thinking is, If we've unique identifiers for each column, we can take 1, check for a particular value. If not present, check in 2.

Is this possible?

15 REPLIES 15
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @KrishnaChithrathil, if you are just looking to find values from the nth columns, why don't you try transposing then filter that would give you results faster. Please take a look at the screenshot.

grazitti_sapna_0-1658902646924.png

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@KrishnaChithrathil, if you are looking for the exact expected output then give this a try.

grazitti_sapna_0-1658903068268.png

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@grazitti_sapna 

I understood what you meant.

KrishnaChithrathil_0-1658903419037.png

Suppose, I want to identify where column-2 is. and need to perform some action to that column alone. The thing is column-2 can appear as the first column or the last column. It's not fixed. Can we do that?

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @KrishnaChithrathil - I think I don't fully understand the problem. Column names in Alteryx are unique identifiers themselves. You can't have duplicate column names. Also, it does not matter what is the order of the columns.

If you want to search for a specific value in different columns a Multi Field Formula tools can do that for you: https://help.alteryx.com/current/MultiFieldFormula.htm 

KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@grazitti_sapna 

Column-1, Column-2, Column-3 is something I generated. Headers will change according to client requirement.

thanks for trying it out. 

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@KrishnaChithrathil, how do you identify which column is column 1, column 2, or column 3 in case they are shuffled?

As @ArtApa  said if the column names are the same they will automatically be renamed and appended by a digit for eg column1 and column2.

Can you please elaborate on the problem?

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

Hello @ArtApa 

KrishnaChithrathil_0-1658904013159.png

Suppose I want to take the Column-3 from this table and make all the Values to uppercase. But I don't know the position of this column-3.

I can't always assume this will be in third column.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@KrishnaChithrathil as per the current scenario of uppercasing column 3 this may help you.

grazitti_sapna_0-1658904341318.png

You can transpose your dataset then use the formula tool and write this formula.

if [Name]="Column-3" then Uppercase([Value]) else [Value] endif

The Name column will help you identify the column you are looking for and the Value column will transform your values as per the requirements.

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
KrishnaChithrathil
11 - Bolide

@grazitti_sapna @ArtApa 

yes, my bad. I'll try to explain it little more specific. will provide sample input that i'm using. I've removed the data keeping only the header names.

This is my excel.

KrishnaChithrathil_1-1658905305163.png

This is how it gets loaded in Alteryx.

KrishnaChithrathil_0-1658905225165.png

The thing is, we can't expect Country column in the F5 column. I may be in F3 or some other. And also we can expect some other columns would come in between these existing column.

Now how can i identify, in which column, the header Country falls.

I hope this is clear to you.

Labels