Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Getting the File Browse and Action tool to work

david_rogers
7 - Meteor

FileBrowseQuestion_v1a.png

FileBrowseQuestion_v1b.png

5 REPLIES 5
PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @david_rogers,

template needs to be specified in the Input Data tool so Action tool could update it.

Action tool could be configured with Action Update Input Data tool which seems to be exactly what you are looking for according to Alteryx help.

I have attached an example, and there is a similar one in Alteryx (menu Help, Sample Workflows, Analytic Apps, File Converter) 

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Customer Support Engineer

david_rogers
7 - Meteor

FileBrowseQuestion_v1c.png

Ok...what you suggested worked.  I just thought you could send it to a "Browse" tool but apparently not.

This suggestion then lead me to the "Output Data" tool.  Pretty cool...but I write mostly out to Excel or SQL (...tackle that later).  Any help?

Many thanks!

PaulN
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @david_rogers,

You would not be able to see the results of the Browse Tool in an analytic app. Think about it as an independent application where it would not be possible to select a tool.

In order to use Excel files as output document, you could configure file browse like this:

FileBrowse.png

Worksheet will be specified when app will be run. In following example, sheet NewModels will be created in file Accessories_output.xlsx.

RunApp.png

Kind regards,

Paul Noirel

Customer Support Engineer

jonathanzadeh
7 - Meteor

I used your example but it keeps giving me the error that i need to put in a sheet name. 

Help with this please? 

DfloDBDB
7 - Meteor

Yours works for me just fine.

Labels