Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Getting database password via an API instead of entering it (using Desinger)

Taki
8 - Asteroid

Hi:

I have a process where the Alteryx work flow needs to connect to databases. The password are being stored in a vault like CyberArk and is rotated on a schedule. Can Alteryx pull in the current password via an API (from CyberArk)  and then use that to connect to the database. We currently only have the Alteryx Designer.

Thanks,

Tak

9 REPLIES 9
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Taki 

i use the CyberArk service for the same reason here, i use the attached workflow to get the account login and password. If your IT team already configured the service properly (and your configuration is like mine), i think that you just need to replace the URL:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668780754379.png

gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

@Felipe_Ribeir0 my guess is that you plug this workflow into a macro to update the password on an input data tool, right? 

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@gabrielvilella exactly that!

Taki
8 - Asteroid

Hi:

Will you be able to share the Macro?

Please let me know if my understanding is correct:  The API will retrieve the password from CyberArk and then a macro will be used within the glow to plug in the password. Correct?

Thanks,

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Server 22.3 has native Vault/CyberArk support I believe. I do not know of any way to use dynamic passwording with In-DB though.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Taki 

Have you ever used the bath macro input? If not, i suggest you to take a time to read this great topic and test it: The Ultimate Input Data Flowchart - Alteryx Community entrée de données eingabedaten

You can configure the input tool to connect with your db, so you can get the username/password from the CyberArk API and pass it to this macro.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668783208073.png

Taki
8 - Asteroid

Hi Felipe: I have not but will be reaching out to someone who had worked more with Alteryx to see if they have. 

Thank you very much four your help.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Taki 

I am going to share with you my config, follow the same steps and it will work.

1) I have a ODBC configuration set to log in the database using login + password:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668793530286.png

2)The CyberArk password is being inputted on the macro:

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1668793703975.png

3)Inside of the macro, i am connected to the db using the ODBC of the item 1:

Felipe_Ribeir0_2-1668793802957.png

4)The update component is configured to replace the password:

Felipe_Ribeir0_3-1668793877451.png

This can be a little challenging because it mixes API concepts/macro/databases, but with some extra effort it will work for sure.

Good luck!

Taki
8 - Asteroid

Thank you so much Felipe. Really appreciate it.

Labels