Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Get a list of fields in a table

markp201
8 - Asteroid

I have a set of 32 tables I would like to apply the field info tool so I get a single list of fields

I started building a standard workflow until I saw this should be a batch macro - my first one

Below is the macro so far.   

Capture.JPG

It's pretty straightforward.  I pass in a list of tables and each time, replace the table name piece in the input tool (SELECT * FROM <table>).  The parse is used to remove everthing but the tablename in the source column

I configured the interface to autoconfigure by name but I am only getting the first field in the first table.  Also, I can't add a browse after calling the macro

Not sure what I'm missing but any wink,wink,nudge,nudge would be appreciated.  I would really like to shift into macros.   Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

So I was able to get this working.

First thing I would suggest is to use the query 'SELECT TOP 1 * FROM <table>' If you are only trying to get the field names.

Using my Input tool, I connected to a table in my database. Then, using the control parameter and action tool, I updated my connection string to replace the table name.

Capture.PNG

Then, like you, I used a field info tool and set the interface to 'Auto Configure By Name'

Then I save my batch macro and open up a new workflow.

Capture2.PNG

Make sure to configure your macro by selecting the appropriate field for your control parameter

dmccandless
8 - Asteroid

Can you share the workflows?

Tam
9 - Comet

Very Late to the party: I would have gone with using an in-db query

select *
from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS

Labels