Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Get Names of Tools, Join Information, & Fields Passed Between

stapuff
9 - Comet

Is there a method that would provide the name/type of the tool(s) being used, specific information like join or left out join the fields they are joined on, what fields are being passed on to the next tool... what fields are falling out (deselected).

Thanks,

Puff

9 REPLIES 9
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can get a lot out of loading the alteryx workflow file into Alteryx as an XML.

I used the Parse XML macro in the attached example.

Key thing is to load the workflow file as a csv with \0 set as delimiter and uncheck first row contains field names.

The workflow file I'm reading in this example is the regex split dates to rows file.

Parse XML macro install also attached.

DavidP_0-1583315090281.png

stapuff
9 - Comet

I appreciate the response back and examples for guidance.  I will take a look at it and let you know how it turns out. 

Thanks, 

Puff

stapuff
9 - Comet

I finally got to a point where I could try this.

On the load alteryx workflow as xml.... I am getting a (3) "the entry point is invalid" error.

Puff

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Which tool is the error on? Make sure you have a look at how the Input Data tool is configured in the example I attached.

file type: csv 

delimeter: \0

uncheck 1st row contains headers

The idea is that you load the xml file into a column called Field1 and then set this as the field that the parse xml macro parses.

stapuff
9 - Comet

DavidP,

I appreciate the response back.

load alteryx workflow as xml is where I am getting the error.

I have this exactly

"file type: csv 

delimeter: \0

uncheck 1st row contains headers"

I can see Field1 populated in the Input tool.

"The idea is that you load the xml file into a column called Field1"

The error I described is in the macro parse tool right after that Input tool.

Just the suggestion to load the workflow file itself has helped me tremendously.... never even thought to do it. Regardless of if I can get this to work, your suggestion has already opened up my potentials.

Thanks,

Puff

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Would you be able to attach your workflow?

stapuff
9 - Comet

The one I was testing has sensitive data in it.

I will try it against another and let you know.

Thanks,

Puff

stapuff
9 - Comet

@DavidP 

Chalk it up to user error.

I re downloaded your 3 attachments, put the Parser in a macro file 

added my yxmd to load alteryx workflow as xml 

set the setting per your instruction

hit run

Bam!  4 columns of xml-less love.

Of course after the first 7 attempts & failures I spent a fair amount of time starring at the data from an excel output to digest the structure.

This gets me closer to what I want to achieve as an end result, which is basically a left to right tabular version of the workflow in the order it runs so I can identify what ties to what, how, fields used, fields created, fields changed, etc etc etc.

Again... thanks you for sticking with me as long as you did.  I realize your time is valuable.

Puff 

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi Puff,

Your reply made me smile - you're very welcome, glad you got it working in the end.

Staring at the data (in an ugly format) from time to time is not a bad thing! It makes you appreciate the power of Alteryx!

Reformatting the data to a left to right format - sounds like a great opportunity to flex your CrossTab tool muscles!

Good luck and let the Community know if you need any help! That's what we're here for!

Labels