Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Get App User name at Run TIme

Pulsar
Pulsar

If this works, it'd be great if you marked one of the above as a solution; thanks!

Highlighted
Meteor

Thanks @mbarone for the solution. Unfortunately, our company policy does not allow the Alteryx server credentials to be shared. Do you know if there is any other solution to fetch the credentials (User ID, Name, Email, etc.) of the user who's executing a given workflow by logging in to the Alteryx server (gallery). I am using Alteryx 2018.4 version.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Highlighted
Pulsar
Pulsar

When you say "Alteryx server credentials", do you mean the non-Admin password I referenced in the screenshots?  If so, then unfortunately there's nothing you can do.

The user information is stored within the Mongo database that is installed with the Server (which is the default Server install), the only way to get it is to go into Mongo.  You can go into Mongo to get it either directly using something like Robo3T, or indirectly using the Mongo Input tool right in Alteryx.  Either way, you'll need the server credentials.

Highlighted
Meteor

Thanks @mbarone for getting back to me!! 

Yes, that's what I meant by "Alteryx server credentials". Please correct me if I am wrong but aren't those credentials in your screenshot used for logging on the Alteryx server.

Highlighted
Pulsar
Pulsar

No, logging onto the server (for example through Remote Desktop Connection) is different.  Once you're ON the server, there will be a "Alteryx Server Settings" icon.  You'd double click that and click through until to you get to that screen with the mongo password.

Highlighted
Meteor

Unfortunately, I don't think our policy allows logging (even remotely) on to the server

I am trying to make this solution work for me but I am getting service account ID every time. The only other option which I am left with is to check the server logs.

But nevertheless, thanks for your help. Let me know if you could think of any other solution.

Highlighted
Pulsar
Pulsar

Welcome.  Yes, if anyone would know how to extract that information without using the Mongo creds, it would definitely be @jdunkerley79 !

Highlighted

@sanket277 1) At what point are you trying to get the credentials of the user? For example, are you trying to get this info at runtime or after the fact? 2) Is the given workflow yours or somebody else's? If it's in your private studio, we might be able to use the API 2) Are you a curator (ie admin) on your gallery? The gallery's admin pages contain info about each user that we might be able to leverage if we can get the workflow results. 

Highlighted
Meteor

Thanks @patrick_digan  for getting back.

Please find below my responses :- 

1) My requirement is to get the ID of the end user executing the workflow during the runtime and saving it in a yxdb file on a network
2) I am the creator of the workflow and publishing it on the Gallery by logging with an "artisan" account.

Highlighted
Meteoroid

Sanket277, in my opinion this is a fundamental limitation of the security model/architecture of the Alteryx server platform. It does not support SSO such as Integrated Active Directory Security (MS Windows network). Until it does, this is always going to be a limitation. Not to say there might not be a clunky work around.

I think this is something the Alteryx need to address as security and accountability are a massive (and ever growing) concern in corporate environemtns.

Labels