Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Get Alteryx Files From Directory in Order

Hello all, 

I have some unfortunate file names that are giving me trouble. I need to import all the pictures from a folder I have. They are saved in the order that I want and all within 1 second. 

RussellMichaelson_0-1616704397175.png

The issue is that when I import them using the directory tool, it puts them slightly out of order based on number:

RussellMichaelson_1-1616704484489.png

So I need it to import them in order (ex. 1.1, 1.2, 1.3) not 1.1, 1.10, 1.11, 1.2. They are all saved within the same second so I cant just sort by CreationTime descending. 

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
Luke_C
17 - Castor

You should be able to parse out the numbers into a new column and then sort based on that column. If you have a sample file name we can help figure out the best formula.

It was even simpler! Thank you, your idea led me to the solution. 

What I had to do what Sort tool and then sort by filename ascending and check the "Use Dictionary Order" box. 

RussellMichaelson_0-1616705323222.png

This allowed it to sort 1, 2, 3 and not 1, 10, 11, 2, 3, etc. 

Thank you!

Labels