Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Get Access to a shared Location to take file as Input On Alteryx

harshal98
8 - Asteroid

Having some files in a shared folder which we are trying to input using directory tool.

The WF runs fine on designer but when run on Scheduler getting the following error:

Start: Designer x64: Started running at 2021-06-16 08:35:26
Error: Tool #7: Invalid Directory "\\10.101.152.50\samba-share-SAP\Resignation*.csv": You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network. (1272)

Checked the WF Dependencies the test for that folder is going fail

Any idea about how i can get access to that folder in alteryx scheduler.....)
Have attached the SS Below

harshal98_0-1624097123459.png

7 REPLIES 7
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @harshal98 

You'll need to set up the Alteryx service that runs the scheduler to log on with a service account that has access to the share.  By default, the scheduler will run with the "Local System" account, which has no permissions outside of your computer.

Dan

harshal98
8 - Asteroid

@danilang Thanks. Can you guide me on how this can be done...do i need to make changes in settings of the Alteryx Scheduler?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

hi @harshal98 

Follow the instructions here, pressing Next until you get to the Run As... page

danilang_0-1624100675453.png

Enter your company domain, the login name of the service account and its password

Dan

harshal98
8 - Asteroid

@danilang Thanks! 

Quick Question : Need to run only few WFs which needs access to that location.

Hope setting to run the worker as a different user does not effect the other WFs running on designer or scheduler as they have no relevance with that location/user....)

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @harshal98 

The service account will need access to all the relevant paths on your local computer as well.  It won't be able to access the content in your personal folders, i.e. c:\users\harshal\...  unless you explicitly grant access.  This will only affect the scheduled workflows, since Designer always runs in the context of the logged in user.

Dan

harshal98
8 - Asteroid

@danilang Well in that case running WFs from my personal folders is my first priority.

Running WFs from that shared location is only for few WFs which can be said secondary but needs to run.

How do i deal with this situation?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

@harshal98 

When you set up the service account on your computer, grant it access to your personal folders using Windows File Explorer.  That way it will be able to access the network and the files on your local drive

Dan

Labels