Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Generating fixtures

ricardocg
6 - Meteoroid

I've the following players and I'd like to create ordered matches between them. Right now I'm testing with four players but eventually I'd like to add more (pairs of players) and the process to generate fixtures without conflict in rounds. 

Input: 

Player
Rich
Erick
Peter
Alex

Output:

Round #Player 1Player 2
1RichPeter
1ErickAlex
2RichErick
2PeterAlex
3RichAlex
3ErickPeter

4 REPLIES 4
DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

@ricardocg,

Can you explain what the logic is to create the fixtures? More than likely you can use a batch macro to create these rounds with your logic within the batch macro. You can then combine the fields into one field using a Formula tool and then use a Unique tool to remove any duplicates.

What have you tried so far?

DanM

ricardocg
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Dan, thanks for your reply.

I manage to create the matches (using Cross Tab and Join) and filter out the duplicates (using a formula to identify them and filter out), but I haven't found a solution for the fixture number

ricardocg
6 - Meteoroid

I made it by myself! (With the help of my colleagues to materialize the problem's logic into Alteryx)

I used an iterative macro to pick matches and generate rounds while avoiding match collisions in the same round. If the number of players change, the N in the same will have to be adjusted as well (inside the macro)

Please see the attached packaged workflow if interested.

nic_hamley
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to understand how to get this to work to create a fixture for a league with 32 teams. Each team plays each other once (i.e. 16 games over 31 rounds for 496 games total). Is it possible to use the iterative macro to create this and, if so, what are the inputs that are required?

Labels