Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Generated Lat and Long seems to be off

adriennehealy
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I've been trialing the Spatial tool and have run into an issue.  I have addresses and some of these already have Lat/Long.  However, when I run those addresses through the tool, it will return different Lat/Longs.  The ones Alteryx return are slightly off.  It's painful but I take the address into google, pull it up and check the coordinates.  Is this a know issue or is there possibly some step I might be missing?  Here's a screenshot of the relevant part of that workflow:

adriennehealy_0-1605723778840.png

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
DeanWest
9 - Comet

What data type is your Lat/Long? Sometimes if you're using a different data type, it can create inconsistencies due to loss of precision from rounding.

mtouiti
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hey @adriennehealy , Can you provide samples of your inputted address and the Lon/Lat coordinates that alteryx has generated for you? 

Best 

Mo

PhilipL
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @adriennehealy ,

What you are seeing is likely due the increased accuracy level of the resulting lat/longs that are coming out of Alteryx vs. what Google or other sources are providing. The TomTom multinet option you are using is highly accurate, and any resulting matches that show as 'Actual' are matched at the parcel centroid/rooftop level, which is the best there is.

This is a key benefit of the Alteryx Geocoder macro, the GeoLevel field output, which will tell you the accuracy level of each geocoded record (Actual, Street, etc.). To my knowledge, Google doesn't tell you the accuracy level of their matches.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Labels