Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Generate rows in a loop

Newbie_1
7 - Meteor

Hi

I have a question on generating rows in a loop.i to generate time sequence for a fixed start and time time. The tricky part is I need to generate the same set for different sets(a,b,c) by inserting the set name as a new column everytime on generating the timstamp.

To make it clear,the order is 

1) Generate timestamp with 10 min interval 

2)Add a column by name "Sets" and add string "a" against the generated time stamp.

3)Generate the same timestamp sequence below the existing one and add the string "b" against the new timestamp
Capture.PNG

I hope I have made the question clear and this can be done in alteryx.

1 REPLY 1
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Newbie_1,

You won't be a newbie long if you keep up this type of work in Alteryx.  I've solved for this challenge using an input text file.  In the configuration of the input file I start with the beginning time, the interval, the interval count and units (e.g. minutes) as well as the desire count of sets.  We generate one row per interval count and then compute a timestamp for each interval.  This data is then multipled in another generate rows process where we create a row for each set.  Next we sort the data and rename the set number into a set name (another text configuration file).

capture.png

The workflow is attached for your review.  

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels