community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Generate customized execution log during execution

Highlighted

Hi All,

I would like to capture log messages to a database table or in custom log file run-time during the workflow execution for monitoring and performance analysis. 
For e.g. when each my execution starts, and each would like to keep it updated in each steps... 
 once the workflow starts:

execution_idworkflow_namestatusstart_timestampend_timestamplog_messagetotal_records_processederror_message
1abc.yxmdrunning7/29/2019 19:06 process starts at 19:06. Data extract starts 19:06.  

I could be using different Alteryx tools for e.g. "Input Data Source", "Data Cleansing", "Formula" for Data Extract process. However, i just want high-level updates.

In between, I would like to append the log_message field with the workflow progress, 

once the workflow completes:

execution_idworkflow_namestatusstart_timestampend_timestamplog_messagetotal_records_processederror_message
1abc.yxmdcompleted7/29/2019 19:067/29/2019 19:10process starts at 19:06. Data extract starts 19:06. Data extract completes at 19:07.19394 

This log i would ideally like to store within our database run-time. Even if it is offline text files like .txt, .csv or Excel. I can manage.

I am not sure if someone already has any solution for this. Looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks !

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hey @Arindam_Bera 

Have you looked into using the Engine Logs that are produced everytime a workflow is run?

You can also use the CreW Log Parser to get them into a nice format

Alteryx Certified Partner

I imagine the Message tool in the Developer section could be helpful here. You could write expressions that include workflow values ("2,315 records were returned on step 4", etc) and start with custom prefixes that making identification and parsing easy. 

https://help.alteryx.com/current/Message.htm

Yes, I have. However, I would like to access it during runtime within my workflow which I am unable to do.

Labels