Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Generate a Random Password Field in Dataset

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Good morning all,

I'm looking to add a field in my dataset that generates a random password of 16 characters in length. The field needs to contain at least one of the following:

• lowercase letter
  • uppercase letter
  • number (0-9)
  • special character (!@#$%^&*)

Tried searching the community and didn't see anything relevant.  Does anyone have an idea for a way to accomplish this for 15k records?

8 REPLIES 8
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @john_miller9,

Does every password need to be unique? 

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Yes, that is part of the challenge!  Looking for each record to have it's unique, random password.

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

What about using `UuidCreate()`?

PhilipMannering_0-1657024473548.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

^ Aaaand that doesn't have an uppercase character....

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@john_miller9 I took @PhilipMannering's workflow and put a bit more spice into his formula tool. This workflow creates 15k unique passwords, all of which contain at least 1 uppercase, lowercase, special and number.

They're not equally likely to arise, but hopefully it's good enough for your purposes

OllieClarke_0-1657026254986.png

OllieClarke_1-1657026270813.png

Hope that helps,

Ollie

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@john_miller9 if your list of special characters is smaller, you'll have to change the number highlighted here to the number of special characters you have -1

OllieClarke_0-1657026472123.png

john_miller9
11 - Bolide

Thanks @PhilipMannering and @OllieClarke.  I also was going down the path of UuidCreate() function and adding in a Capital letter and special character.  Appreciate the added randomness of your solution @OllieClarke and will be able to leverage this with some minor modification for my usecase!

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

Here's an option using an iterative macro and ensures at least one of each criteria is met as well as no duplciated character/digit back to back.  You can control the characters/digits you'd like in the password as well as how long.  Doee not ensure uniqueness but that could be added.

Robin_McIntosh_0-1657108506486.png

Labels