Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Generate a Barcode

raychase
11 - Bolide

Hello,

Has anyone had success generating barcodes using Alteryx? The obvious way was thought to be using custom fonts to convert strings to barcodes; however, custom fonts don't seem to be supported within the render tool, so it becomes near impossible to include them as snippets within more complex reports.

I would imagine it's possible with external Python libraries, but that seems a bit much for such a simple task. I suppose there's also APIs that offer the same functionality, but again, a bit overkill.

Any other ideas? Has anyone had any luck getting Alteryx (specifically the render tool) to honor custom fonts? 

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @raychase 

So, the font method is out, and I figured anything reliable would have to use images of the barcode and I was actually able to get that to work using a website that generates the image for you.

https://barcode.tec-it.com/en/?data=ABC-abc-1234 

The website above allow you to submit a string in the URL ("ABC-abc-1234" is the default value) and it will generate a barcode image for you. If you click on the image settings, I changed the image type to JPG and the website said this URL could be used to reference that image. (FYI:The default type on the website was GIF, which isn't supported by the Image tool)

https://barcode.tec-it.com/barcode.ashx?data=ABC-abc-1234&code=&multiplebarcodes=false&translate-esc=true&unit=Fit&dpi=96&imagetype=Jpg&rotation=0&color=%23000000&bgcolor=%23ffffff&codepage=Default&qunit=Mm&quiet=0

Again, the important part is the "data=" then the wrapper doesn't change. So I was able to take a random string like "Alteryx2021", add the rest of the above string and send that URL to the Download tool in Designer. I changed the Download tool to output a blob field, which the Image tool can then use for Reporting. Now you have the barcode image you can use in the rendered output for your choice.

20210309-Barcodes1.JPG

Check out the attached workflow and let me know if that works for you.

EDIT: Per the statement on the website: 
"You may use this barcode generator as part of your non-commercial web-application or web-site to create dynamic barcodes with your own data. In return, we ask you to implement a back-link with the text "TEC-IT Barcode Generator" on your web-site. Back-linking to www.tec-it.com is highly appreciated, the use of TEC-IT logos is optional.

Please contact us for commercial or bulk use."

So I edited my workflow to show how a Text tool can be used to include their link as requested. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@CharlieS 

Very nice one. Learned something new.

raychase
11 - Bolide

@CharlieS Thanks for the post.  I liken this to the API approach I alluded to in my original post.  Unfortunately, the Alteryx Server environment that will host this particular app does not have external web connectivity, thus it is also a no-go.  I do appreciate the detailed response - it's exactly how I would have taken the API approach as well.

I've submitted a support ticket asking why custom fonts aren't supported by the Render tool.  It sounds like they've raised an internal defect that will hopefully be tackled at some point.

naresh11
5 - Atom

Hi.  

Thank you for sharing this information, about using barcodes in Alteryx this information is very nice and useful for all business. Thank you sharing this blog  

I have seen same kind of information and it will help to you 

Salesforce Service Cloud Training

MRod
8 - Asteroid

You can use the Barcode Tool to generate barcodes from text data or read barcodes from an image. This tool is part of Alteryx Intelligence Suite. Intelligence Suite requires a separate license and add-on installer to Designer. 

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @raychase - Here is an example:

ArtApa_0-1685855104576.png

Labels