Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Generate Rows based off a number field for a owner

cdata995
5 - Atom

I have this data from google. It lists me the owner name and file name and then all the permissions for that file but in a column format. which means that if a file has 345 people its shared to - i have that many columns in my dataset. I simply want to transpose sort but i want it like below:

Owner        File Name.                     permission 1 email.       role

Owner        File Name.                     permission 2 email        role

Owner        File Name.                     permission 3 email        role

Owner2      Next File Name.             permission 1 Email       role

I dont need the domain. 

if someone can please help me out - i will attach a sample dataset.

on the data set i only have three permissions but the columns can go all the way up in the hundred depending on file. 

Thanks ALL

4 REPLIES 4
messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@cdata995,

Please see below:

messi007_0-1610461827728.png

Attached the workflow,

Hope that helps,

Regards,

cdata995
5 - Atom

sorry i dont think im typing it right but this is what i want my file output to look like. 

cdata995
5 - Atom

So there will be a file that has 6 rows with the same file name but different person its shared to ( instead of columns as it is now) and I only need the owner, file name, permission email, permission role 

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I believe this is what you're looking for. 

I first used a dynamic select to remove any columns related to domain. From there, I used the transpose to get all of the data into a vertical format, with a group by on owner, name, and permissions. I then had each item of the category in the name and value fields.

I used a text to columns to parse the field names, so I could get both the record ID (in this case 0-2) and the goal field name (email address and role). Once I had both of those, I used a cross-tab to pivot my data to have the email address and role as fields.

I used a select to remove the record ID field. You can also remove permissions if you don't need that.

Hope this helps!

echuong1_0-1610463181760.png

Labels