Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Generate Number of Rows Based Off Value in Another Column

Julcas
7 - Meteor

As the title suggests, I want to copy the data from one row 4 times if the value in one column is API, and 2 times if the value is MX Loader. I've tried using the Generate Rows Tool, but keep running into errors such as: "Invalid type in operator==." and "The value did not change after the Loop Expression"

I'm fairly new with this tool and tried adding a condition expression of "

if contains([MX Loader/API],"API")
then + 4
elseif Contains([MX Loader/API], "MX Loader")
then + 2
else Null()
endif "

If anyone has any solutions, it would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
AndrewBanh
9 - Comet

HI @Julcas 

I have created a workflow for you (attached below) using generate rows.

My suggestion (and this caught me out) is to check the field type of the ColumnsToAdd field because it was a string for me, but generate rows needed an integer to compare it to.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other queries.

- Andrew

Julcas
7 - Meteor

That worked! Thank you!

rajiv83
5 - Atom

Hi Andrew,

I have a similar query to this. Just that in my case i need a specific value to repeat itself multiple times, till a change of condition in the underlying column. For e.g.see below:

For every change in Level to equal 2 (i.e Level =2) I need the corresponding "DESC" of that Level 2 occurrence to repeat for all subsequent records in a separate column, till the next available instance of Level 2 with a different DESC. The occurrence of "Level =2" will be dynamic, i.e. can occur after any n number of records.

UNITLEVELDESCRequired Mapping
A_XYZ2XYZXYZ
A_33aaaaXYZ
A_44bbbbXYZ
A_55ccccXYZ
A_66ddddXYZ
A_77eeeeeXYZ
A_88fffffXYZ
A_ABC2ABCABC
A_93gggggABC
A_104hhhhABC
A_115iiiiiiABC