Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Gallery Workflow Not Exporting Results To network Folder Location

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Alteryx Fans, Good Day Everyone!!

I have at least two workflows in the Alteryx Gallery that I have noticed are not exporting to specified folder locations upon completion of their respective workflows.  The results do appear correctly within the gallery, which are downloadable, but I thought that if, within a workflow, a specific folder location was used in the output tool, the results of the workflow would write to that folder.  Is this not the case?  Are there any settings that I may potentially be overlooking?  Thank you!!

4 REPLIES 4
robg1409
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Robert

Have you made sure the file path is set to UNC?  In the workflow if you go through Options > Advanced Options > Workflow Dependencies and then click "All UNC" this will change the file path so that it runs from the Gallery to your desired location.  I know we had problems with this when we first started using the Gallery.  

Hopefully that helps? 

Thanks

Rob 

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@robertfishel I would guess the output is being "packaged" when you save the workflow to the gallery. There is a good article here. When you save a workflow to the gallery, it will sometimes package the output with the workflow. This means that instead of writing to the network drive, it will write relative to the workflow on the alteryx server. The good news is that this is then viewable/downloadable to end user. The bad news is that is that it no longer writes to the network drive. A file written to the network drive won't appear in the gallery and won't be downloadable. 

BrianR
Alteryx
Alteryx

One thing to check in situations like this - in the Server Settings, there is a "Run As" setting. This is the account that the workflow will run as when executing from Gallery...and subsequently, that account has to have permissions to write to a defined output folder such as your network share. Take a look at the articles listed below - if you are not the Server administrator, you will need to get some help from someone that has rights to make the change, but this is something we see often in Server environments. The change might involve adding write permissions for the current account defined in that Run As setting to that network share, or possibly changing that "Run As" account to a different account, one that has rights on the local server, but also the network share. 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Knowledge-Base/Run-As-Settings/ta-p/17830

https://help.alteryx.com/server/current/admin/Configuration/RunasPermissions.htm?TocPath=Configure%7...

robertfishel
8 - Asteroid

Thank you all.  A lot of food for thought.  I know for a fact that I have not been checking the UNC setting, so I will double check that, and read the articles provided.  Great stuff!!

Labels