Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Gallery Error: Too many posts were made to a semaphore. (298)

ustovicd
5 - Atom

Hi - I have workflows that run in an order that are triggered by Events. For example, My workflow 1 runs, kicks of an event "after run" and moves on to the second Workflow.  When I run the workflows in my Alteryx designer, it runs fine and files produce outputs. But, When I run it in the Gallery, it gives me an error: Error running Event #1: The external program "AlteryxEngineCmd.exe" returned an error code: 1: Too many posts were made to a semaphore. (298).

Now, I ran this process 2 days ago, it completed from start to finish in the Gallery with no issues. I tried running it again today, it fails with the semaphore error. 

Does anyone have any insight what is causing this error or what I can do to fix?

Thank you!
2 REPLIES 2
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Ah yes, the dreaded semaphore error.  I have been dealing with this for a long time.  The funny thing is, that the workflows still seem to complete and do what they're supposed to.  Meaning the error does not prevent the workflow from processing like it should.  Our IT folks have been working with Alteryx to try to figure it out.  There are literally a dozen or more reasons why that error can be thrown.  Our IT folks think it's because Alteryx Server has a bug when it comes to Windows Server 2019 and high security firewalls.  Alteryx says they don't officially support Server on Windows Server 2019.   Our IT folks are currently seeing if they can figure it out, which, to date, they can't.

So I guess my only advice would be to connect with Alteryx by submitting an issue to support@alteryx.com, or by submitting it via the Community (Support option).

Let me know if you wind up getting resolved, and I'll do the same!

PaulDJ
5 - Atom

I am getting this error too and our Alteryx servers are 2019. If an upgrade fixes our situation I will let you know. 

Labels