Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fuzzy matching not as significantly effective

AA007
8 - Asteroid

i have apple and banana;banana and apple in a same column with different count in a different column. It is only a sample of the data. The data is dynamic. Is there a way I could check for strings that are symmetric or contain same number of strings. I even tried with text to columns but the string is not limited to two or three number of words. will tokenizing it and checking reverse work?

6 REPLIES 6
PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @AA007 ,

I think fuzzy matching could help you here.

Can you share sample data with us?

Fuzzy Matching requires some configuration iterations and thus without data it is hard to provide you with a suitable solution.

Best regards

Phil

AA007
8 - Asteroid

new_SourceTitle Sum_Count Right_new_SourceTitle Right_Sum_Count
CFO & Secretary 1 CFO Secretary 160
CFO Secretary & Treasurer 53 CFO Secretary Treasurer 13
CFO & Senior VP of Administration 1 CFO Senior VP Administration 2
CFO & Treasurer 1 CFO Treasurer 456
CFO Treasurer & Secretary 68 CFO Treasurer Secretary 4
CFO Treasurer & VP 3 CFO Treasurer VP 2
CFO & VP of Administration 4 CFO VP Administration 6
CFO & VP of Finance 40 CFO VP Finance 17
CFO & VP Finance & Operations 1 CFO VP Finance & Operations 1

AA007
8 - Asteroid
Agent & Broker3Agent BrokerBroker Agent5
Owner Founder & President19Owner Founder PresidentOwner President & Founder17
Founder President & CEO69Founder President CEOFounder President CEO66
VP Finance69Finance VPFinance & VP67
Founder CEO & Chairman22Founder CEO ChairmanFounder CEO Chairman23
Founder Chairman & CEO33Founder Chairman CEOChairman CEO Founder33
AA007
8 - Asteroid

at the end i want to be able to keep the first column but the next column of data has the same data and be able to keep the count and add up through a summarize table

PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @AA007 ,

please find the solution attached.

Not so sure whether the final output has the exact column structure you are looking for, but you can easily adjust this in the workflow:   

screenshot.PNG

Best regards

Phil

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @AA007 - Please be aware that by definition Fuzzy Matching attempts to find a match which, although not a 100 percent match, and is above the threshold matching percentage set by the application. Fuzzy Matching is an art and is really good in the following situations:

•Names / nicknames

•Addresses

•Company names

•Human error / typos

Alternatively, you can always try to find exact matches before applying Fuzzy Matching. If your data is always like the provided sample then you can use something like this:

ArtApa_0-1597479331973.png

Labels