Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Fuzzy chart resolution

MeanLeanDean
8 - Asteroid

When I render a 1-page report that combines a basic table and a chart, the resolutions between the two are startlingly different and inadequate in a professionnal setting.  This chart is generated using the Interactive Chart tool.  I tried rending the chart separately, but the resolution was just as poor. How can I improve chart resolution?  TIA.

MeanLeanDean_1-1651167910272.png

3 REPLIES 3
kelly_gilbert
13 - Pulsar

@MeanLeanDean - you can adjust the resolution in the Interactive Chart tool by going to Chart --> Display, and then changing from pixels to inches/cm. The default resolution is 72 pixels/in, which is on the low end for high-resolution monitors.

kelly_gilbert_0-1651246680962.png

Note that this won't scale up the font size and margins, so you may need to adjust those separately.

• Go to Font to adjust the global font size for the chart
  • Go to Legend --> Text to adjust the legend font).
  • Go to Chart --> Margins and Padding to adjust the margins
MeanLeanDean
8 - Asteroid

@kelly_gilbert Thanks for the reply.  I tried those steps and more and couldn't get the resolution to improve.  I even tried recreating the chart accepting all default values and the resolution remained poor.  It seems like the issue is how the render tool generates the pdf image.

MeanLeanDean
8 - Asteroid

Even the sample workflows for the Visual Lay tool and the Interactive Chart tool produce the same results.  The differences are stark.  I'd prefer my clients think about the story the data is telling and not the resolution differences. :(

MeanLeanDean_0-1651258007409.png

Labels