community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Fuzzy Match on Business Names

Hi. I am working with data that is input with no standardization. I have no master list for comparison. The same business contact gets input a multitude of ways. For example: on attorney contacts, I might get XYZ Law PLCC, XYZ Attorneys at Law, the Law Offices of XY & Z, XY Law Firm, etc.  I am trying to use the fuzzy match tool to clean up this data for reporting. I have some comparable information, like addresses and phone numbers, but some businesses have multiple locations.

I have watched the sessions on fuzzy match usage and searched the community, and still cannot seem to get this to work property. Ideally, I want to have a resulting spreadsheet that just shows the original data with an additional column at the end with the grouping name that is most commonly found from the fuzzy match workflow, which I can then use to pivot data in reports.

I have attached what I have tried to build so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fuzzy Match.JPG

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

@kcunningham,

How many entries do you have?

Do you have addresses?

In fuzzy matching, I would use the address component to cast an appropriate net of potential matches (say STATE or ZIP).

There is also the potential that you can use an API (e.g. Google or HERE) to find potential matches and name variations.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.
Labels