Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Fuzzy Match for Names

alkafalhas
7 - Meteor

Hi

I have problem with the fuzzy match tools. I'm trying to use fuzzy match for names, examples as below:

AB
ASMAYATI ABDULAZIMASMAYATI BINTI ABDULAZIM
AZIZANG BIN IBRAHIMAZIZANG IBRAHIM
CANDAY LOH FOONG MANGLOH FOONG MANG

However current settings, pick up wrongly for example like below:

Current setting Match threshold 90% with match style: Name

CD
CHIAH YUN CHINGCHIA SHYAN CHING
LOKE HENG FATTYLEE CHONG FATTY
NURA ALIYANA BINTI MOHAMMADADNURA LIYANA BINTI MUHAMADAD
WUN PEI KENGWUN PEI KANG

Is there a way to fix this?

3 REPLIES 3
Maskell_Rascal
13 - Pulsar

Hi @alkafalhas 

Can you provide either your workflow or sample data?

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @alkafalhas - I don't believe this is achievable on the level that you described. The problem is that something that you describe as a "wrong" match is objectively a better match. I tried different Match Functions and "wrongs" always tend to have a better matching score:

ArtApa_0-1623714888898.png

I'd recommend to look at other features in your data set or on the process holistically to achieve a desired outcome. Less elegant idea would be to create a table of exceptions and use it to remove "wrongs" from the workflow before Fuzzy Matching.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

have you considered parsing out the  name into components and then trying a fuzzy match? I think the way it searches it gives equal weight to variation at different point in the name - however, as you've pointed out differing sections of the name may be more important. In your case, you'd probably want a 100% match on "last name" and differing levels of fuzzy match on the other parts.

Labels