Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
It's the most wonderful time of the year - Santalytics 2020 is here! This year, Santa's workshop needs the help of the Alteryx Community to help get back on track, so head over to the Group Hub for all the info to get started!

Function similar to SQLs Patindex

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

I have a field that has data of varying lengths.  i want to create a new field from this field that is the string up to a character which is not in a given set of characters.  This is because there are various symbols (letters, punctuation etc) that I would want to use to terminate the field.  In SQL, my code looked like

Patindex('%[^-.0-9]%' meaning i wanted to find the spot where the first character that did not match ^,-,., or [0,9].

Anything like this in alteryx? basically, i would want to use a findstring function and be able to look for a character that is not in a given set of values.  (i am looking for a general solution, but ifthere is a function specific to finding a character not in ^,-,.,[0,9] that would also be very helpful.)

thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

RegEx or Regular Expressions are available in a few Alteryx tools and will definitely do the trick here. I've attached an example that only keeps the string as long as it is a string of only the characters you specified above using this expression:

([\^\-\.\d]*)

20181207-RegEx.png

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

awesome thank you very much

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

would you be able to explain how you came up with that syntax? I don't quite see how you knew to use that expression.

Highlighted

([\^\-\.\d]*)

(        ) = Contains the expression

[      ] = Any character in this set

* = One or more of the characters in that set

Now for the characters in that set:

\^ = "^" character

\- = "-" character

\. = "." character

\d = Any number(digit) character

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

ahh the d is really what was stumping me, but that makes perfect sense.  thank you very much!

Labels