Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Frequency Tool - Need to "Group By"

aesham
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I need to create a price frequency table by market and by brand.  The Frequency tool produces terrific output but it seems to only be able to read the entire dataset; there is no "group by" function.  I checked with online support and was told to request a "group by" function in the developers forum or to create a macro.   I was referred to the online training sessions on macros - but they don't seem to address my issue.  My need is immediate and I have no idea how to produce a macro to handle this.  My hope is to incorporate the Frequency tool to take advantage of the 3 built-in outputs.

My dataset and prelinary workflow is attached.  I want to create a frequency table by "market num" and "brand num" using the price data in the field "750$"

Any help in creating the macro or other solution is greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Andrew

14 REPLIES 14
aesham
8 - Asteroid

Hi Ben,

Thanks again for all your help last week.

I am hoping you might have a minute to help me with two (quick?) items.

In the attached workflow, Render 15, is there a way that I can manually sort the "SIZE" field so that they appear in the following sequence: 175L, 1L, 750ml, 375ml, 200ml rather than in their collating sequence.   If there is not a dynamic way to do it, I could assign a value to each size and then include that in the Summarize step to force the correct order.

Also, in Render 29 I am creating one workbook tab per Market.  Is there a way that I can dynamically name the tab with the market name?

Thank you!  I appreciate the time and help.

Andrew

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi Andrew,

I don't beleive volumes are a recognised datatype in alteryx. I think your idea to assign a value to each is going to be your best method!

Ben

aesham
8 - Asteroid

Thanks.  I thought so.

The second question I had (above) is when building a multi-tab Excel workbook using the Render tool (Render 29 in the above attached) is there a way to dynamically name each tab with the Market name?

Thanks

Andrew

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This should be possible yes.

It is a bit more difficult with sheet names than it would be to completely seperate workbooks.

For completely differnet files you would simply set your output mode to 'choose a specific output file' then in the output file save your file, you can then use the 'group data into seperate records' and select the market name tab, this would append the market name to the filename, so essentially would would end up with something like..

FilenameMarket1.xlsx, FilenameMarket2.xlsx etc.

If you wish to output to seperate sheets then you would have to use the 'replacing entire path with group option', this method would rely on your create an entire filepath string using a formula tool. Now the different to using this to output to a sheet rather than different workbook would be to do the following (place the sheetname after a PIPE - | post the .xlsx extention:

field 1                 URL

Market1              c:\FileName.xlsx|Market1

Market2              c:\FileName.xlsx|Market2

Ben

sriniprad08
11 - Bolide

Hi, I have similar kind of problem. Please find attached the data i have and kind of output iam looking for in alteryx. please guide.

Labels