Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Fpml

SidUK
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone used Fpml in an Alteryx project?

If so, please share some details of what you did.

Looking  at doing a new Alteryx project possibly with Fpml.

Thanks

Sid

7 REPLIES 7
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

If you are referring to Financial product Markup Language, I believe that this format is just XML, correct? You should be able to either read these files in as XML, or you can parse XML after the fact with the XML parsing tool. 

SidUK
8 - Asteroid

Thank you. Will be doing xml work this weekend, so hopefully easy progression to fpml.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

I am not an expert with fpml files, but a little research showed me that part of the process is comparing the files to established templates to see if there are missing fields/values as part of the process. It would seem like you could perform the same XML import/parsing operations on both the file and the template and then compare them with a workflow, I just haven't done this in practice yet.

There were also some Python examples in the search results I found so if you wanted to leverage one of the fpml analyzers using that method you should also be able to leverage a script like that in the Python tool in an Alteryx workflow. In any case, I am interested to see what your experience is like and if I can assist with any followups!

SidUK
8 - Asteroid

If anyone wants to play around with Fpml, here are sample trades to play with...

https://www.cmegroup.com/confluence/display/EPICSANDBOX/FpML+Message+Samples

Using the XML Parse tool made it very easy to extract the relevant trade information.

Nicholas_Sinclair
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I was wondering if you would be good enough to share your workflow for this?

I am trying to convert fpml to flat file and struggling.

Thank you

Nick

SidUK
8 - Asteroid

See attach. Basically FPML is based on XML, which Alteryx has a Parse tool. I've attached my xml message, and extracted trade info.

Nicholas_Sinclair
7 - Meteor

Thank you for posting, that, very helpful indeed.

Labels