Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formulas with Unknown field

Joy1
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

The current data we have consists of project ID and start Dates as Fields followed by revenues generated from each project on a monthly basis.

The input data adds a field every month to display the revenue generated from this month.

The issue is that as part of the dynamic forecast I am doing, I would like to use the new fields added every month and use formulas on these. Let's say for simplicity that expected revenue for June 2020= average (March 2020, April 2020, May 2020). Obviously, next month, july 2020= average( April 2020, May 2020, June 2020) and so on....

I am still fairly new to Alteryx, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot guys 

6 REPLIES 6
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @Joy1 ,

my first idea would be to use the Transpose tool to convert the columns to rows and the Multi-Row Formula tool to calculate the averages for the last 3 month. I attached a sample workflow. What do you think?

Best,

Roland

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Joy1,

The best way to do this would be to transpose the data and then join it together again to your original file. Take care to not take the id values (lets say nothing that has to do with the actual values)

Untitled.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

Joy1
8 - Asteroid

Joy1
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

Unfortunately, this does not solve the dynamic aspect of the question.

Thanks for your help though

Joy1
8 - Asteroid

Thanks a lot! 

Unfortunately, even though it does answer the simplified version of the problem I gave, It seems to be a bit annoying for more complex equations/ math manipulations.

Thanks again for taking the time to help

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Joy1,

You could perform more complex formulas and analysis depending on your needs, but we would need to know what you want.

Regards

Labels