Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula

Arkouda
8 - Asteroid

Hi All 

I have this formula currently and need to have it Identify blanks vendor cells (our data comes in with Vendors identified as ALL Caps and other - employee spend as lower case) but we also have blanks and what them identified as Vendor. 

Can someone assist me with this? I tried the isempty formula but keep getting errors

IF Regex_Match([VENDOR_NAME], Uppercase([VENDOR_NAME]), 0)
THEN 'Vendor'
ELSE 'Other'
endif

2 REPLIES 2
Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi!

I would suggest breaking this down into steps.

First, create a formula just to identify the blanks. IsEmpty is the correct formula to use. If this fails to identify some of the blanks, you can now find them and try to find out why. 

The most likely reason is that there are spaces in fields which look blank. Try using IsEmpty(Trim([Field])) to remove leading and trailing spaces. 

Once this is working, we can combine this with your formula:

IF IsEmpty(Trim([VENDOR_NAME]))

THEN "Vendor"

ELSEIF Regex_Match([VENDOR_NAME], Uppercase([VENDOR_NAME]), 0)

THEN "Vendor"

ELSE "Other"
ENDIF

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Arkouda,

Depending on whether or not your blank Vendor Name cells are empty or null you'll want to use:

Blank vendor name cells are null

THEN 'Vendor'

ELSEIF IsNull([VENDOR_Name]) THEN 'Vendor'
ELSE 'Other'

ENDIF

Blank vendor name cells are empty

THEN 'Vendor'

ELSEIF IsEmpty([VENDOR_Name]) THEN 'Vendor'
ELSE 'Other'

ENDIF

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

Labels