Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula tool output inserts '·' instead of spaces

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

I am trying to feed a command string to the Run Command tool using a Formula Tool.

However, the command is unreadable because every space in the formula is read into the Run Command as a '·'.

I confirmed this in Notepad - it's not just a display issue.

Here's an excerpt from my Formula's Expression field:

<snip...> [Body] +' -H "Authorization: Bearer '+[Access_Token]+ <...snip>

And here is what shows up in the Input of the Run Command (I bolded the dots):

<snip...> /Body·-H·"Authorization:·Bearer·"00D <...snip>

Does anybody know where they come from and how to get rid of them? I can't compose any parameterized commands because of this.

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
asteryx
8 - Asteroid

On further examination, it seems the dots are already present in the prior output from another Run Command.

In the browse tool, I see spaces, but when I choose the Cell Viewere, all spaces are dots instead.

My Run Command is a curl.exe statement that sends the results into the workflow's stream via a .txt file in the Input option in the Run Command.

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Hi @asteryx -- if you copy/past out of Results into Notepad, it will indeed take the little dot along for the copy/paste ride.  In that sense it is just how it displays in the Results panel.  However, if you attach an output file and write to a .csv or some such, the little dots should go away.  Likewise you should be OK to compose Run Command parameters.    Hope that helps!

PS, if you copy the value from the browse grid rather than the Cell Viewer, that's another way to get it "without the dots."

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, JohnJPS.

My Run Command output is written as a .txt file. Is that different than the .csv option? Or are you talking about a different approach altogether?

Command.PNG

JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

Just to clarify, you're saying that the data in ...\CurlResponse.txt already has the little dots?  Can that be confirmed in Notepad?

If so, then I suppose you could do a Replace([fieldName],"·"," ") to replace them with spaces, but I agree it's odd...

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Hmmm

I guess you're right - no dots in Notepad.

Does that mean I'm chasing a Red Herring here? The dots are not the cause of my error code 58, it seems.

I appreciate your help - even if it's just learning to read, lol!

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

Here is the (code snipped) string I'm sending to the Run Command to get sent to curl.exe:

https://na15.salesforce.com/services/data/v20.0/sobjects/Attachment/00Pi000000Rp6QNEAZ/Body·-H·"Authorization:·Bearer·00D... snip...6VS"·-o·".\SF_Output.xlsx"
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

OK, thats might well be what's causing the error.  Was that generated in a workflow, and copied and pasted from the Cell Viewer?

Does it work if you manually remove the dots there?

asteryx
8 - Asteroid

When I copy from the output list of the Run Command (not the cell viewer), this is what I get:

https://na15.salesforce.com/services/data/v20.0/sobjects/Attachment/00Pi000000Rp6QNEAZ/Body -H "Authorization: Bearer 00...snip...VS" -o ".\SF_Output.xlsx"

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

If you're in the Cell View in an Alteryx browse tool and you see the little dots where there should be spaces, click on the "weird backwards P" that shows the "Show Whitespace" tool tip when you hover. This toggles the little dots on and off.

Labels